Luminara Unduli Fleet - Negasonic Teenage Warhead

 Luminara Unduli Fleet - Negasonic Teenage Warhead

I'm running out of pictures of Luminara to use, I think...

Let's start with the list itself, shall we? Quick note: If you're familiar with the most excellent Armada Fleets Designer app, then you'll be familiar with the format of the fleet list. If not, then you should know that the numbers in the parentheses next to the fleet name are as follows - number of points invested in squadrons/total number of fleet points/maximum number of fleet points.

The Fat Man (80/396/400)
========================

Venator II-class Star Destroyer (100 + 61: 161)
· Luminara Unduli (25)
· Intel Officer (7)
· Ordnance Experts (4)
· SPHA-T (7)
· Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
· External Racks (4)
· XI7 Turbolasers (6)
· Tranquility (3)

Acclamator II-class (71 + 16: 87)
· Clone Navigation Officer (4)
· Redundant Shields (8)
· Implacable (4)

Pelta-class Transport Frigate (45 + 23: 68)
· Clone Navigation Officer (4)
· Bomber Command Center (8)
· Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
· Projection Experts (6)

Anakin Skywalker (19)
Axe (17)
2 x V-19 Torrent Squadron (2 x 12)
2 x BTL-B Y-wing Squadron (2 x 10)

Ion Storm
Planetary Ion Cannon
Dangerous Territory


I don't like building Christmas Tree ships (ships that are worth a ton of points and are basically begging to be blown up) because I'm not good at running them. Not great at fighting them either, honestly, but I get mine blown up CONSTANTLY. Overall, I agree with the general consensus and conventional wisdom that most Republic and Separatist ships don't really want to have targets painted all over them because they already have it tough enough given that redundant defense tokens seem to be a thing of the past. That said, I think it's easy for me to fall into patterns of building and playing, and the best way for me to break out of that is to build and test some fleets I'm confident will fail, owing to general consensus and conventional wisdom. You've seen me post a bunch of them on this very blog!

So yeah, I'm daring an opponent to pop my nucleokinetic over here, so to speak. The easiest way to chew through all of my shields is with squadrons, so I've included a little bit of squadron cover. Not sure that these 6 are the best for the job, but it's my starting place. I figure the Y-Wings and Anakin will do me a lot of good against squadronless fleets, and if I'm not so fortunate, at least Anakin can throw alongside Axe and the V-19s. You know, to some extent, anyway. The Venator is carrying Luminara because I'm doing every thing I can think of to protect that ship.
Pretty sure this Venator needs more bubble wrap...

My Acclamator is pretty bare bones. It can chuck dice, but it mostly wants to support the Venator by taking one hit a round for it through Implacable and chucking Concentrate Fire tokens at it through Clone Navigation Officer. Redundant Shields is in there because I plan on sacrificing 1-2 shields each round to protect that Venator. If this fleet is even halfway decent, but some changes need to be made I'm sure that Redundant Shields will be the first thing I cut. I don't have any other modifications I'd rather be putting on Implacable, so that's not really what's bothering me about it. It's just not particularly points-efficient. I'm spending 8 points to recover one shield a turn. If I really max it out, that's 6 shields a turn. I can spend fewer points simply running Shields to Maximum! Sure, I'd need to shift some things around, but I could do it. I'm trying this just because I want to see if I can find a decent use for this card before it goes back into the dank, dark corner of my binder from whence it came.

The Pelta is pretty firmly set in a support role as well. Projection Experts helps it keep the Venator alive by giving it shields it can use to eat even more damage. Reinforced Blast Doors (RBD) will help keep the Pelta alive a little longer than it deserves to last once it's giving away shields it doesn't recover. Bomber Command Center is there for the Y-Wings because my Acclamator is running Implacable instead of Nevoota Bee, and Clone Navigation Officer is yet another form of support for the Venator. Basically, I think this Venator will have to be Navigating the whole time, or it'll risk being woefully out of position. So it'll be fed the tokens it needs to supplement other activities, such as refreshing SPHA-T or pushing a squadron in a time of need. A two-speed jump up or down ain't unappealing either.

The Venator is where I've sunk nearly half of my fleet points, so let's get into it. I already mentioned that I put Luminara on here because I'm doing everything I can think of to protect this ship. She might as well be on it. It's got Tranquility because it's going to be the recipient of some Projection Experts support, and I'd like to leverage those shields as best I can. Tranquility obviously helps me do that. I've also got RBD on here so that I can last just a little bit longer once my opponent starts cutting into my hull. But speaking of cutting into hull, I can't win if all I do is turtle. So Tranquility is bristling with guns a little bit. I've got Intel Officer on here so that I can force my prey to either eat the damage or only get one use out of their token. To that end, I really do need my dice to cooperate, so I've got Ordnance Experts on here. I suspect I'll need to swap out XI7s for Linked Turbolaser Towers to help with that, but we'll see. Meantime, I've put External Racks on here (because SPHA-T is already a modification) for volume of black dice so I'm not counting on crits or anything that's so easily eliminated from my dice pool. And SPHA-T makes a double-arc much more threatening, I think.
I'm intimidating; fear me. RAWR.

I think there's a lot of downside to this list, but it looks fun, and it's worth a try. As I've mentioned previously, Luminara is my commander of choice from the Clone Wars at present, and so I'm just going to find a ton of different ways to experiment with her. I've got Ion Storm for my Assault Objective so that I have the luxury of placing all of the obstacles. Plus, no station. Because of how tanky my build is, I'm counting that as a plus for me so my opponent can't vie for control of it. I picked Planetary Ion Cannon in case I need a little extra help putting damage on an opponent. Plus, the special critical effect of exhausting a defense token means I can use Intel Officer on a healthy token. Finally, I picked Dangerous Territory because I want to be aggressive, but this also lets me run over asteroid fields and debris fields without any detrimental effects.

Comments